The 21st-century witnesses people being heavily relying on different sources of packaged goods. Frozen vegetables, canned fruits, microwave meal boxes, bottled milk, all these have become unexpendable to us. If you feel enthusiastic about the prospect of experimenting with food and engineering new goods and different food products, then, a career in Food Engineering might be well suited for you. But before that prospective food engineers should determine what type of environment they choose to work in and plan their education moves accordingly. Falling under the umbrella of food science and agriculture, graduates in Food Engineering can prefer to work in several different industries including healthcare, pharmaceutical, and consulting, to name a few.
In the below blog, Pritish Kumar Halder takes a brief illustration about how to make a career in the food engineering field. Before preparing for the exam read the full blog.
What is Food Engineering?
Food Engineering or Food Technologies is among the engineering branches that pertain to the composition, manufacturing, processing, packaging, testing, and marketing of the food. Being one of the best engineering courses for the future, it is a multidisciplinary field that amalgamates engineering principles about Chemistry, Physical Sciences, Biotechnology, and Microbiology for food and related industries.
Progressing toward developing a deeper understanding of the fundamentals of the industry, Food Engineering courses engage in subjects such as Processing Methods, Preservation, Food Conservation Operation, Kinematics of Machinery, Food Packaging Technology, Food Microbiology, Harvesting and Post Harvesting Handling of Food, etc. Besides these, it covers instrumentation for food analysis (spices, tea, coffee, cocoa, nuts, and crops).
Food Science & Technology Specializations
- Human Nutrition & Health Food Processing & Preservation Technology
- Food Products Development Bakery & Confectionery Technology
- Fermented Foods Food Production & Operations Management
Required Skillset for Agricultural and Food Engineering
- Analytical skills– Engineers must assess the current state of the unit or the land and make decisions based on their findings. Candidates must be able to think critically.
- Problem-solving abilities– To get the intended results, engineers on the field or in a food unit must give excellent problem-solving techniques and tactics.
- Communication skills and development-Fluent communication abilities are required of an agricultural and food engineer, as well as the ability to build fluid communication between people of various profiles.
Top Global Universities
Being a niche subject, Food Science or Food Engineering is mostly opted by a great number of students who are looking forward to engaging in Food Biotechnology and Food Technologies. Studying at the best universities around the world, the degree earned from colleges not only provides a student with world-class facilities but also prepares them for the further practical aspects of the industry. Being situated in the best and most prosperous areas of the globe, the students also benefit from the closer proximity to the top industries and improve their further career prospects.
- Harvard University
- Cornell University
- University of Washington
- New York University
- The University of Edinburgh
- University of Melbourne
- University of British Columbia
- McGill University
- University of Illinois
- Australian National University
- University of Wisconsin
- University of California, Davis
- Boston University
- University of Southern California
- The University of Queensland
Being a subject that allows for one to engage in different career aspects, with a degree in Food Engineering you can find yourself eligible for Food Technology Jobs like food packaging and various other prospects in processing industries. You may also choose to work with animal farms and agriculturalists to improve the current standards of the food industry.
Job Profile that one might find intriguing in this domain:
- Organic Chemist
- Biochemist Economist
- Research Scientist
- Food Engineer
- Chef Chemists
Top Recruiters in the Food & Beverage Industry:
- Hindustan Unilever